Monday, October 12, 2009

Robben Island

Day 3 - morning. We toured Robben Island, the former prison where many of South Africa and Namibia's political prisoners were imprisoned during the 1960's until 1991. Nelson Mandela, of course, was the most famous prisoner. We got to see his former cell and hear from a former political prisoner about his experience at the prison as well as his activities that resulted in his stay there. Extremely interesting to see a place that for so many years served as a world-wide focal point.

The island itself is beautiful and because of its location reminds me of Alcatraz. There is much wildlife on the island and obviously is a key tourist attraction now.

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine what the prison was actually like, and from what I know about Alcatraz, I can get some pictures in my head, but can you share more about the..."impression" of the whole place. How much did the tour talk about Mandela? All sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete